Tuesday 3 May 2011

Day 19 - 23k - Ledigos - Gearrionn Beirt Bothar

If they ever bring in snoring as an Olympic event I think we had a good prospect for a medal in our room last night. No additional coaching required with this auld fella from Duseldorf. The volume and variety of sounds that came out of him were formidable. Left early this morning without breakfast but managed to get a decent coffee at the outskirts of Corrion at a petrol station. Walked through landscape that is very fertile and  flat and had plenty of wind turbines left and right of us which are great to see. We walked along an old Roman road for 12 miles which was hard work, so Gaby looked like the real deal in the sandals. She has given up on the boots for today and tomorrow while her toe goes into rehab. Finished my Cicero book last night and I see that both Pompey and Caesar campaigned here in Spain. They'd be glad to know that the road held up well, not a pothole in sight. Tried out a new audio book on the road today for a few hours. A Sweedish crime thing from Camilla Lakberg that I have given up on. She had to go as she wasn't shortening the road. Listened to an Emmylou compilation I made instead to propel me over the last 4 mile.
"No matter how much I glitter baby,
I shall never be gold"
That song always reminds me of driving through the back roads from Enniscorthy to Graignamanagh last May with the CD blaring. Jimmy McRae would have been impressed with my driving. Pulled the plug today after 23k in Ledigos, 3k short of our target. Hauld up! they have wireless Internet here. There is not much more to this village than the Albergue and the bar I'm in at the moment. There is a local at the end of the bar driving shite out of a cigarette, right beside the no smoking sign. The revolution will not be televised.

No comments:

Post a Comment